The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) met August 7-9, 2009. This message includes information on decisions made at that meeting and a list of programs and schools that will be reviewed at the next meeting.
The following are decisions the Commission may make:
- For initial accreditation, the Commission may grant 5-year accreditation to programs in compliance with the CEA Standards or one-year accreditation to programs that substantially meet the standards but need to address minor standards-related deficiencies.
- Programs granted one-year initial accreditation are granted 4-year continued accreditation if the deficiencies are corrected.
- For re-accreditation, the Commission may grant 10-year re-accreditation to programs that fully meet the standards or one-year re-accreditation to programs that have standards-related deficiencies that may be met in one year.
- Programs granted one-year re-accreditation may be granted 9-year continued accreditation if the deficiencies are corrected.
In accordance with Section 602.26 of the U.S. Secretary of Education's Recognition of Accrediting Agencies (effective July 1, 2000), notice is hereby given of the following decisions made by the Commission at its August meeting.
Granted five-year initial accreditation
Spring International, Arapahoe Campus, Denver, CO
Spring International, Auraria Campus, CO
Spring International, University of Arkansas
CALLS, Hellenic American Union, Athens, Greece
IEP, American University of Kuwait, Kuwait City
ESL Department, Lone Star College, Cy Fair, TX
IEP, Georgia State University
Granted one-year initial accreditation
Studies in American Language, San Jose State
CESL, Southern Illinois University
St. Giles College, San Francisco
USC Language Academy, Univ. of Southern California
Granted 4-year continued accreditation
Kansas State University
American Cultural Exchange at Seattle Pacific University
American Cultural Exchange at Montana State University
Accreditation withdrawn (appealable)
Columbia School of English, Portland, OR
International Academy of English, San Diego, CA
Notice of Upcoming Accreditation Reviews
In accordance with regulations of the U.S. Department of Education, CEA must provide an opportunity for input from the community of interest prior to making final decisions on any candidate program or institution. Voluntary comments may support or question a site’s compliance with the CEA Standards for English Language Program Accreditation. Comments, which should be signed and mailed to the address below, will be reviewed by the Commission at its December, 2009, meeting.
The following sites will be reviewed for initial accreditation:
- Approach International Student Center, Allston, MA
- Converse International School of Languages-San Diego, CA
- Intensive English Program, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Maryland English Institute, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Open Hearts International College, Miami, FLA
The following sites will be reviewed for re-accreditation:
- Showa Boston Institute for Language and Culture, Boston, MA