CEA accredits English language programs and independent English language schools outside the United States. The process of accreditation is the same. The self-study, on-site review, and final accreditation decisions are all based on the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. These standards were initially developed for the U.S. market. In 2007, through a project funded through the TOEFL Board, the standards were revised to address the cultural environment of the program or school seeking accreditation outside the United States.
What does accreditation by CEA outside the U.S. entail?
Policies and procedures for accreditation of non-U.S. sites parallel those developed for the U.S., with a consideration for cultural differences in the international setting. Briefly, to be accredited by CEA, a program must
- Meet eligibility requirements
- Submit an application form
- Host a preliminary visit (only if required based on review of submitted materials)
- Attend a self-study workshop
- Develop and submit a plan for how it will conduct its self-study
- Submit a comprehensive self-study that addresses CEA's 44 standards
- Have a site visit by a team of peer reviewers who verify the contents of the self-study
- Be reviewed by the 13 commissioners who make the final accreditation decision
These steps are explained in more detail in the document Policies and Procedures for International Accreditation.
What should I do if our international English language program or school is interested in seeking accreditation?
Download a copy of CEA's Policies and Procedures which explains the various steps in the accreditation process for international sites. You should also download and study the entire CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions to determine how applicable they are to your program. Then also look at the rest of the CEA website to have a clearer idea about accreditation. If you feel you are ready to apply, download and complete the application form on the application page.
If you have further questions, please contact CEA.